If you are learning about the Provincial Court you might be interested in these website pages:
- About the Court - find a variety of information about the Provincial Court
- History - read a short summary of the Court’s history since the 1800s
- Types of Cases - learn about the Court’s work in criminal, youth, family, civil, traffic and by-law cases
- Court Innovation - see examples of the Court’s efforts to improve the way it does its work
- Judicial Independence - find out what “judicial independence” means
- Judicial Officers - learn about the different judicial officers who make up the Court
- Judgments & Decisions - read judges’ reasons for their decisions in actual cases
- Judicial Council - learn about the body that screens people applying to be a judge or judicial justice and conducts inquiries into their conduct, in addition to performing other important duties
- Court Reports - find facts and figures about the Court’s work, its complement of judges, and delays in obtaining trial dates
- Useful Links
The Court’s Media Guide is not just for media – it’s fun to read and full of info about the Court and its work.
The Justice Education Society of B.C. offers programs and resources for teachers and youth to learn about the courts. Their Justice System Education Program offers court watching, court orientations, mock trials, sessions with a judge or lawyer, and career and personal planning activities in many B.C. communities.
The Canadian Superior Courts Judges Association offers Judges in Canada, a video and teachers’ guide in both English and French. It uses a young man’s story to show what Canadians are entitled to expect from judges and it explains concepts like judicial independence and the rule of law.
Grade 11 and 12 students might want to check out www.courtsofbc.ca/ . It offers videos about B.C. courts, judicial independence, access to courts, and criminal and civil law concepts.
The People's Law School offers events, booklets and videos about legal issues, some of them in several languages.
Find some useful glossaries explaining words and phrases used in courts, laws, and legal writing.